Monday, October 11, 2010

Jasmine And Company

Jasmine and her 15 housemates were already in the Baltimore County shelter, when their "ex" realized she'd made a terrible mistake, and her elderly cats would probably be killed. A victim of domestic violence, she'd been told by the police to stay away from home and had asked Animal Control to pick up her cats. The shelter gave us three business days to find places for the cats, and the two of us networked frantically. Friends of Animals offered to help and ended up taking two kittens. Fancy Cats Rescue Team found foster homes for many of the senior cats. I'll always remember the day I went to the shelter in a borrowed van to collect the cats. They were in a room in a little house at the entrance to the shelter grounds, and there were cats everywhere... perched on shelves in the closets, sitting on windowsills, lounging on the furniture... As we loaded the last of the cats into the van, the officers who picked them up stopped by to say goodbye and wish them luck. They were big, burly men with tears in their eyes. All but three of the senior cats went to foster homes.  I figured Harry, Jasmine and Leo would be fine in our group home since they were used to living with a lot of cats. Besides, it was only a matter of time until a softhearted person came along and offered them a home where they could spend their golden years together. That softhearted person turned out to be me. Leo, who was 14 when he moved in with me, was cute and fun. But living with Harry, who was 15, was like living with a crotchety old man with chronic digestive problems. And then there was Jasmine, also 15. She looked like a powder puff but beneath the long, silky fur was a tough Baltimore street cat. She was smart and shrewd and wise, and the most nurturing cat I have ever known. She was a once-in-a-lifetime cat, and it was an honor and joy to share my life with her for five years.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to share an update on one of the cats that I believe was part of this group - Smokey Joe. I cannot thank you enough for all you did to save him & bring him into my life. Over 4 years later, he's still the most wonderful cat ever! He's currently laying across both my arms - purring and completely limp (except of course for his ever squiggling tail!) - he sits like this for hours and helps me with all my computer work, until I loose feeling to my fingers! He is absolutely the best - I thank you every day for looking after him before we found each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Smoky Joe was part of this group. Thank you, Cherie, for adopting him. I'm so glad you found each other!
    -- Missy

    ReplyDelete