Sunday, November 7, 2010

Kitty: A Success Story In Progress

Kitty when she was in the shelter.
Some of our success stories are still works in progress. Kitty is one of those stories still waiting for a happy ending. She was adopted from the Baltimore County shelter as a kitten and was returned six years later. Luckily, she was adopted again. But then a new baby arrived, and her humans had no room for a cat in their hearts or their home. Now 12 years old and diabetic, Kitty was returned to the shelter.

When we met, she was living in a cramped cage. I was there to meet her and report back to Diabetic Cats in Need, a rescue group that grew out of the Feline Diabetes Message Board. The last thing I expected to hear was that she was going to be killed if she wasn't pulled by a rescue very soon because the shelter's budget has no room for diabetic cats. Kitty came home with me!  

As we made our way through rush hour traffic on the Beltway, Kitty talked nonstop. Maybe she was telling me how hurt she was that her people moved her into the basement after the baby arrived and how much she enjoyed all the attention she got from the volunteers at the shelter. She's a very social cat and loves being front and center when people are around.

So now she's with me, making me laugh with her many personality quirks and truly hating the other cats who live here. We're both eager for her to go to her forever home where she can be the one and only cat. But until then, I'll love her with all of my heart and enjoy her company because she's a wonderful friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment