Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cherokee: Happy At Last

Cherokee tells her story:
"For six years, my human and I were best friends. I helped her with her school work, cuddled with her at night, and when she was expecting a baby, I sat near her and tried to comfort her when she wasn't feeling well. Then the baby arrived, and everything changed. Suddenly, our apartment was too small, and there was no room for the cat who had been her best friend before that huge man and the baby came along.

"The man took me to the Howard County Cat Club's group home. He just tossed my carrier in the door... didn't even say goodbye. I was so sad, I wedged myself into one of those little 'kitty condos' and stayed there for two days.

"Soon after I arrived, I got adopted. But I wasn't in the mood for new humans and a cat I didn't know, so I was returned.

"It took two years, but I got adopted again! I was so excited. I went to live in Washington, DC, in a residence for young women where I was supposed to be a working cat and catch mice. I loved it there. I spent evenings going from lap to lap in the main room, and at night, after all the humans were in bed, I worked on rodent control. I thought I was doing a good job and the women loved me. So you can imagine my surprise when they said they were replacing me with a mean cat, and I was going back to the Howard County Cat Club.

"Instead of going to the group home though, I went to the Highland Groomery and Kitty Bed and Breakfast for 'boarding.' I'm not sure what that means, but I'm still here and I think I can stay. I love my cat-sized four-poster bed and the kitty TV. I love sleeping in the bay window when the grooming shop is closed, and I love the other cats who live here and Wanda, the owner and her staff. I feel so fortunate. I wish every cat tale could have an ending as happy as mine does."

You can help us save more cats like Cherokee by becoming a sponsor of the Howard County Cat Club.

2 comments:

  1. So... she's really not "boarding" is she.. The owners of the Kitty Bed and Breakfast -- did they adopt her?

    ReplyDelete